Skip to main content

Child swap - SOLC Day 13

Picture this:

You’re snuggled up on a plush couch, listening to the gentle patter of the rain on the window, book spread open on your lap. Hell, you can even treat yourself to a San Pellegrino! Not a care in the world.

“Mommyyyyy!!!! Mommyyyyy!!!!! MOMMYYYYYYY!!!!!!”

The time bomb has gone off. Only...

It ain’t YOUR time bomb!

Let me backup a second. A few months ago, my mom friend/neighbor came up with a brilliant idea. She and her husband have two tots and never go out on dates. My husband and I have one tot and never go out on dates. We should do a babysitting swap! A convenient solution to save us some date night money, as we live exactly one flight of stairs away from each other.

Our deal was simple: Ask a couple days ahead of time for babysitting availability. Make sure tots are sound asleep before leaving for the date. Don’t stay out TOO late.

We’re now several months into the arrangement, and I have learned a HARSH truth.

I’m afraid I got the raw end of this deal.

My friend’s experience at our place has been the same every time. Poppy has gone to bed at her bedtime (7:00PM). Our neighbor comes up about 7:30. We leave. She chills on our couch and gets things done. Occasionally she’ll hear Poppy whimper or briefly cry over the monitor, but she always goes back to sleep after a maximum of five minutes. My friend has never had to enter Poppy’s room at all, actually.

My experience has been quite different. Let me recount the most recent episode, from Monday night:

7:24pm
Hey Alex! One is down, still trying
to get the other to sleep.

7:24pm
No problem!! I’m ready to come down 
whenever you guys are ready!

8:15pm
Ok! They have been quiet long enough
that I feel confident!

8:15pm
I’ll be right down!

My friend and her husband were out of the building exactly 4 minutes when the first tot woke up. Which brings me back to this moment:

“MOMMYYYYYY!!!! WAHHHHHHH!!!!!!”

I bounced up from the couch and into the dark room with the speed and soft touch of a pacifist ninja. I did not want to wake up the OTHER tot.

My distressed little friend had gotten up from bed. I steered him back under the covers and rubbed his back until he fell back asleep.

Or so I thought.

After slipping back out of his room and back onto the couch, I got about halfway down the page of my book club novel before he started again.

“MOOOOOOMMMMMMMYYYYYYYY!!!!!”

I resigned myself to the fact that I would simply have to lie next to him and pretend to be “mommy.” As I scrolled through Twitter with a tot paw draped across my belly, I started to plan my next date night.

Comments

  1. Yes, you definitely got the raw end of the deal. Hope they eventually stayed asleep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, no... you did get a bad deal this time, though I detect maybe you weren’t too upset. Lived your phrase “tot paw draped across my belly.” You have a way with words that can bring out a laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Not my time bomb." Those are words I now long to say, blithely.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Snapshot of a morning commute - SOLC Day 4

Have you ever had one of those days where you wake up, and before any other thought crosses your drowsy mind, you think to yourself, 'huh, how can I make this morning difficult for my fellow human beings?' No? Me neither. But apparently, the guy riding his bike in the middle of the lane did!  (Side note: my husband and I carpool. He is driving, I did not take this photograph from behind the wheel!)

The Last Supper, Part 1 - SOLC Day 15

Last night, my husband and I went out for a date. I know, we’re meant to be socially distancing. But we needed a last hurrah as a couple before we began our isolation with a toddler in a tiny condo. Thank GOD we went on a date! It turned out to be a dream come true! Our night began at a neighborhood sushi joint, small, BYOB. We went because it’s BYOB and we’re poor, but what we realized is that it is a neighborhood destination that we somehow didn’t know about(?!?!). The reason why it’s a destination is Sushi Mike. Sushi Mike is the Japanese-American sushi version of the character who plays the mafia boss’ favorite chef. He is PURE GOLD. His laughter - a shocking cackle- cuts through the sound of chatter and ambient music the way his chef’s knife slices through ahi tuna. Left and right, customers ask their servers to send over a glass of wine for Sushi Mike. It is well deserved. Sushi Mike’s specialty is making special rolls for his guests. Servers ask about allergies and spic

SOLC Day 1

So, last weekend I went to a Pamper Party. A Pamper Party is when your friend, who decided to become a Mary Kay consultant, invites people over to drink wine and buy things. The morning of the Pamper Party, I said to my husband, "I will not buy ANYTHING." The afternoon of the Pamper Party, I said to my mother and sister over FaceTime, "I will not buy ANYTHING." I'm sure you can see where this is going. 7:30PM rolls around. My toddler daughter is asleep in her crib bathed in the soft glow of her nightlight and the steady sound of her white noise machine. My husband is sprawled on the couch, bathed in the blue lights of the television and his laptop, both of which are tuned into different sporting events. I am walking downstairs to my friend's unit.  I am the second to arrive. The wine is being opened. Introductions are made. When the fourth and final mother (we are all mothers) arrives, we go down to the basement. Let the pampering begin. We are