Skip to main content

The reading lightbulb - SOLC Day 14

We all have those students who need extra help year after year. Sometimes it seems like it take forever for THE lightbulb - that life changing lightbulb that illuminates that reading identity that was always there, hidden in the shadows - to light up. But when it does, my God is it amazing!

My district has closed for COVID-19, but I was the luckiest teacher in the world to witness this moment for a second grade student exactly 2.5 hours before dismissal yesterday.

“Mrs. Needle,” he said. “I have a question.”

I smiled. “What are you wondering about?” I answered.

“Why does the word ‘have’ have an E at the end? It doesn’t make the long sound.”

My smile grew exponentially. Wow! I thought. This kiddo not only noticed a word pattern totally unprompted, but also 1) noticed a word that deviated from the pattern and 2) remembered his wondering until I came to pick him up for intervention.

“K,” I said. “I’m so proud that you noticed that! What a smart question to ask!” I took out my whiteboard tablet and wrote the words “have,” “love,” and “give.” We talked about what the words look like and sound like, and how in English (his native language is Urdu), words don’t end with the letter V. We talked about how most words follow the rules, and how even the rule-breaker words still follow their own sort of rule. Then he said the best thing ever:

“English is crazy!”

I love this job, and will miss my darlings during this anxious time. I hope that lightbulb stays on for little K.

Comments

  1. What a great way to think about it...hoping that their lightbulbs stay on. And that someone notices it while they are away from us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the moment your writing captures here. When you next have a chance to spend time with K, give him an elbow bump from me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the part that scares me for when we come back - how to make sure those lightbulbs stay on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad that K headed home with his learning acknowledged and reinforced. You’ve given him a good chance the lightbulb will stay on. Just trust there will be more lightbulb moments when we all get back to school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And so do I! You are right! I'm so glad you were able to leave with that moment etched in your heart! Kudos Teach!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gift to have this lightbulb moment before closing school.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Snapshot of a morning commute - SOLC Day 4

Have you ever had one of those days where you wake up, and before any other thought crosses your drowsy mind, you think to yourself, 'huh, how can I make this morning difficult for my fellow human beings?' No? Me neither. But apparently, the guy riding his bike in the middle of the lane did!  (Side note: my husband and I carpool. He is driving, I did not take this photograph from behind the wheel!)

The Last Supper, Part 1 - SOLC Day 15

Last night, my husband and I went out for a date. I know, we’re meant to be socially distancing. But we needed a last hurrah as a couple before we began our isolation with a toddler in a tiny condo. Thank GOD we went on a date! It turned out to be a dream come true! Our night began at a neighborhood sushi joint, small, BYOB. We went because it’s BYOB and we’re poor, but what we realized is that it is a neighborhood destination that we somehow didn’t know about(?!?!). The reason why it’s a destination is Sushi Mike. Sushi Mike is the Japanese-American sushi version of the character who plays the mafia boss’ favorite chef. He is PURE GOLD. His laughter - a shocking cackle- cuts through the sound of chatter and ambient music the way his chef’s knife slices through ahi tuna. Left and right, customers ask their servers to send over a glass of wine for Sushi Mike. It is well deserved. Sushi Mike’s specialty is making special rolls for his guests. Servers ask about allergies and spic

SOLC Day 1

So, last weekend I went to a Pamper Party. A Pamper Party is when your friend, who decided to become a Mary Kay consultant, invites people over to drink wine and buy things. The morning of the Pamper Party, I said to my husband, "I will not buy ANYTHING." The afternoon of the Pamper Party, I said to my mother and sister over FaceTime, "I will not buy ANYTHING." I'm sure you can see where this is going. 7:30PM rolls around. My toddler daughter is asleep in her crib bathed in the soft glow of her nightlight and the steady sound of her white noise machine. My husband is sprawled on the couch, bathed in the blue lights of the television and his laptop, both of which are tuned into different sporting events. I am walking downstairs to my friend's unit.  I am the second to arrive. The wine is being opened. Introductions are made. When the fourth and final mother (we are all mothers) arrives, we go down to the basement. Let the pampering begin. We are